Monday, November 3, 2014

Learning is Everywhere

Bowser explores Lego city with Spider-Man and Snoopy

Up until recently, Peter's top interest was trucks. His grandpa introduced him to Mighty Machines; Peter was an instant fan. For my part, I found it easy to use that interest in schooling. There is no shortage of books about trucks! We visited construction sites and talked about careers with trucks. 

For the last month, he has been enamored with Mario World. Yes, he loves the video game, but he is equally happy telling stories about it or making up his own with the Mario characters he and Anne got in their Happy Meals. He wants me to make up lullabies about jumping on crates and avoiding Goombas. I must admit, I was at a loss for how to use this interest in school. Pinterest to the rescue! I found an excellent lapbook on Mario World and a math activity that can be branded as Mario Kart. 

Peter has begun making connections on his own, too. Reading about lions recently, we learned that they live on savannahs. "Like Sprawling Susanna!" :-) So, he still pronounces it incorrectly, but the connection was there anyway! This has been a good lesson for me, too, in being able to find the value of any activity, even if it doesn't fit into a neat educational box.

No comments:

Post a Comment