Friday, November 14, 2014

7QT (Vol. 107): Joseph and my Amazing Evening

-1-
My in-laws came out today. Such a great day! They brought apple crisp AND entertained my children so I could take a nap. :-) My mother-in-law "did school" with Peter, experimenting to see what floats and what sinks. She even went a step further and explained how surface area affects the ability to float. It was music to my ears, hearing him learn from his Grandma as I went up.

-2-
After dinner tonight, I went to Chocolate and Vines with Heesu, my mother-in-law, and a friend I met on the internet. (We pretend that's sketchy to amuse ourselves. In reality, it's because we're both too introverted to meet friends in real life.) After a relaxing and delicious dessert, we were off to the Auditorium Theatre for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat!

-3-
I can't even explain how much I enjoyed it! I saw it years ago with my dad; this performance more than lived up to my memories of that one. The performers were very talented, both in dancing and singing. And the LIGHTS! What I most remember from the first show was the effects achieved with the lights. Technology has improved in the past ten years; it was even more impressive! I think I was smiling for 90% of the show.

And this is just what they did while people were leaving!

-4-
A couple weeks ago, I recommended to the parents of my 6th grade religion students that they take their children to see the play if they had the resources. While watching the scene with Potiphar's wife seducing Joseph, I hoped that if the kids go, they won't catch all of that... Hmm. Although Heesu pointed out that it was still less suggestive than the costumes in the Donny Osmond movie.

-5-
Heesu and I watched the movie a few weeks ago, since she was learning the story in her Sacred Scripture class. The movie is fine. Heesu wasn't sure she wanted to come see the play, but hesitantly agreed. Tonight, she was overflowing with praise for it. "It was a BILLION times better than the movie!" I agree. I wish I had the resources to go see it again tomorrow night!

-6-
One of the little things I thought was cool about the play was that the first brother to embrace Joseph when he reveals his identity at the end was Reuben. He ran up, hugged him, then turned toward heaven and clasped his hands in prayer. Given that he was the only brother who tried to save Joseph's life in the Bible, I thought that was a nice touch.

-7-
Making my night complete, Jeremy got Anne to sleep tonight while I was at the play. This is the first time she has been put down to sleep without nursing first (or falling asleep in the car or while rocking), I think. She's getting to be so big! I am very happy to know she can fall asleep without me.




7 Quick Takes is hosted at Conversion Diary

No comments:

Post a Comment