Monday, October 20, 2014

Sorrowful Mysteries

I explained these Mysteries today to Peter (in an age-appropriate manner). His face grew very solemn as he thought of each one, so I concluded by reminding him that Jesus didn't stay dead. Immediately he flashed a brilliant smile and triumphantly exclaimed, "He came back! And He is all better!" We are an Easter people; hallelujah is our song!

Agony in the Garden
He advanced a little and fell to the ground and prayed that if it were possible the hour might pass by him; he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible to you. Take this cup away from me, but not what I will but what you will.” When he returned he found them asleep. He said to Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? Watch and pray that you may not undergo the test. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.”
I trust in the mercy of God, knowing that my sins necessitated Jesus' passion and death. Furthermore, knowledge of my sins injured Him far more than the intense physical suffering He endured. I am grateful that God loves me enough to suffer on my behalf. May my heart always remain sensitive to my sins, that I do not callously hurt my Savior.

Scourging at the Pillar
Then Pilate took Jesus and had him scourged.
As often as I meditate on this, I cannot fathom that God would submit to physical abuse. With a single command, He could have ended not only the torture but the lives of the torturers. And yet, He accepted our violence and redeemed us through it.

Crowning with Thorns
[The soldiers] clothed him in purple and, weaving a crown of thorns, placed it on him. They began to salute him with, “Hail, King of the Jews!” and kept striking his head with a reed and spitting upon him. They knelt before him in homage. And when they had mocked him, they stripped him of the purple cloak, dressed him in his own clothes, and led him out to crucify him.
So often I feel the need to prove myself, defend my credentials, and win an argument. But Jesus, who had every right to defend Himself, did nothing. He did not perform a great miracle to convince them. He didn't respond with taunts of His own. He simply allowed them to pour insults and abuse on Him as His heart broke.

Carrying the Cross
So they took Jesus, and carrying the cross himself he went out to what is called the Place of the Skull, in Hebrew, Golgotha.
For this Mystery and the next, I reflect on a different event on each Hail Mary, as follows:
1. Jesus is given His cross
2. Jesus falls the first time
3. Jesus meets His mother
4. Simon helps Jesus carry the cross
5. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
6. Jesus falls the second time
7. The women of Jerusalem weep over Jesus
8. Jesus falls the third time
9. Jesus is stripped of his garments
10. Jesus refuses the drugged wine

The Crucifixion
Then they crucified him and divided his garments by casting lots for them to see what each should take. ... The inscription of the charge against him read, “The King of the Jews.” With him they crucified two revolutionaries, one on his right and one on his left. Those passing by reviled him, shaking their heads and saying, “Aha! You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save yourself by coming down from the cross.”
1. Jesus is nailed to the cross
2. "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do."
3. Jesus is mocked by the crowd
4. Jesus entrusts His mother and John to each other
5. "Amen I say to you, this day you will be with Me in paradise."
6. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
7. "I thirst."
8. "Into Your hands I commend My spirit."
9. "It is finished."
10. Jesus dies on the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment