Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Luminous Mysteries

If I had to identify a theme of the Luminous Mysteries, it would be obedience. This is a virtue I am pursuing currently, so maybe that's theme I hear because it's what I need to hear. Anyway, here are my reflections on these mysteries.

The Baptism of Jesus
It happened in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized in the Jordan by John. On coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit, like a dove, descending upon him. And a voice came from the heavens, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”
Through His baptism, Jesus sanctified the waters of baptism. Where He leads, there we should follow. As a baptized member of the body of Christ, I am also called to ministry. My baptism began my commission. May I always hear God's call to be His beloved child.

The Wedding Feast at Cana
On the third day there was a wedding in Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding. When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” Jesus said to her, “Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servers, “Do whatever he tells you.” Now there were six stone water jars there for Jewish ceremonial washings, each holding twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus told them, “Fill the jars with water.” So they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, “Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter.” So they took it. And when the headwaiter tasted the water that had become wine, without knowing where it came from (although the servers who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom and said to him, “Everyone serves good wine first, and then when people have drunk freely, an inferior one; but you have kept the good wine until now.”
May I recognize Mary's role in making our needs known to Jesus and trust in her intercession. Similarly, may I always believe in Jesus' care for our daily needs, even things that seem spiritually inconsequential. Jesus changes our water into wine, into excellent wine, when we follow His mother's admonition to do whatever He tells us.

The Proclamation of the Kingdom
Rising very early before dawn, he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed. Simon and those who were with him pursued him and on finding him said, “Everyone is looking for you.” He told them, “Let us go on to the nearby villages that I may preach there also. For this purpose have I come.” So he went into their synagogues, preaching and driving out demons throughout the whole of Galilee.
Again, I am called to ministry. The Spirit gives different gifts, but each is expected to participate in the proclamation of the Kingdom. The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand, but still so many do not see it. As Jesus poured Himself into public ministry, may I also give all I have to answer my calling, remembering always to make prayer my priority.

The Transfiguration
Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him. ... Behold, a bright cloud cast a shadow over them, then from the cloud came a voice that said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate and were very much afraid. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and do not be afraid.”
Here are two commands: listen to Jesus and do not be afraid. If only I could follow such simple commands! May I strive always to give myself completely to the Christ, who is both almighty God and gentle, loving shepherd.

The Institution of the Eucharist
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.”
Take and eat. Drink from it. I am both body and soul, so my Lord comes to me both physically and spiritually. May I never become complacent in receiving the Eucharist, but continue to stand in awe of One who loves me that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment