Monday, June 2, 2014

Spending Parties

Jewelry. Cooking ware. Wall designs. Toys. Cleaning products. Essential oils. Make-up. Body care. How do you balance supporting your friends with managing your budget and your home? I have been invited to parties to introduce me to all of these things. The invitation usually comes with an assurance that I don't need to feel guilty if I don't buy anything; she (always a she) just wants to have people attend.

To a certain extent, I believe it. The hostess doesn't expect every guest to buy something. But if no one does, why throw the party? (Unless you won it and aren't particularly interested in the products.) Also, many of these invitations have come not merely from hostesses, but from saleswomen. They are trying to earn an income. I certainly want them to succeed.

Ultimately, I've decided only to buy things in which I am already interested. For invitations I've declined, I've let my friends know I'm not interested currently, but that I'll come to them if I consider that product in the future. They have been gracious. I don't have bills and items I don't want. But I still feel a little bad. :-/

Besides, why would I need cleaning supplies?

8 comments:

  1. No need to feel bad! I've declined some before although that was more because I wasn't really sure what they were and sometimes I get nervous in groups with new people.

    I have recently joined 2 direct sales groups and really enjoy it so far. I am one of those who does not mind if someone comes to my party who doesn't want to buy, because I don't like parties where someone would feel forced to. I just enjoy getting together with people and being able to show off something that I enjoy (for me it's now nails that don't requite painting and vinyl expressions).

    And for people who don't like those parties/don't have money, but still want to support, word of mouth is always really helpful, liking a picture on their friend's business page, sending a searching customer their way. So no need to feel bad at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely do some name-dropping for you if I hear of someone interested! :-)

      Delete
  2. I do the same thing! As someone with mild social anxiety, I'd rather just order directly than spend an afternoon out evening silently freaking out and nervous talking because I'm surrounded by people I don't know. :-)

    I've had some uncomfortable experiences with more than one home sales party, which prompted my blanket policy of direct orders over parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't mind sharing, what type of negative experiences did you have at some of those parties? I do door prizes, fun make-and-take crafts for everyone so regardless of if you buy or not you get to take something home, and talk to all my guests whether party related conversation or not. I just started being a consultant with a 2nd business and want to make sure everyone feels welcome and comfortable at all my parties. I'd love to avoid anything that would make people want to leave.

      Delete
    2. That's a good way to handle it, especially with people you don't know well.

      Delete
  3. There are several companies that I've been interested in lately, and even considered being a consultant (gasp!). But then I always come down to earth and think "imagine the anxiety about talking in front of people...EVERY time I had to have a party!!!!!"

    Which means, I'm still waiting for my assignment from God. Obviously I take my vocation as a mother seriously but also know that something is just around the corner...

    Since I can't be a consultant, I can support these other moms who are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karra, you could definitely do it if that's something you really think you would like! I also have extreme anxiety (!!!) talking in front of groups, but this has been different for me because I'm talking about something that I really enjoy so it makes it way easier for me. Plus, I try to talk for less than 15 minutes and then do a fun craft with everyone and show catalogs and just chat. My face still turns bright red which bothers me, but there's not much I can do about that. : )

      I actually just joined my 2nd business as a consultant (Jamberry Nails) because my first was going so well. I do a lot of online parties so I don't have to talk in front of groups!!!

      Whatever you find your assignment to be, I'm sure you'll be great at it! I just wanted to share my experience as a fellow not-a-fan-of-group-speaking person. Good luck! : )

      Delete
    2. C'mon, Karra, we ran that youth group. Can't be THAT much different. :-) Sounds like Emy has some good experience to share, too, if you end up going that route.

      Delete