3 c all-purpose flour (plus a little more for dusting the pan)
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 medium soft avocado, peeled with pit removed
2 c water
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c pure olive oil
1/2 c powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray and dust it lightly with flour.
2. In large mixing bowl, mix flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
3. Using a blender, puree avocado, water, vanilla, granulated sugar and oil.
4. Pour wet ingredients into mixing bowl. Blend until batter is smooth, then pour into prepared baking pan.
5. Bake the cake for 35-45 minutes. Allow cake to cool to room temperature, then sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
We decided not to top our cake with anything, since we were using a candle. (It was the Church's birthday cake, so we put a Spiderman candle on it. Obviously.) Blowing out a candle would mean powdered sugar everywhere. Cream cheese frosting is another option, but we enjoyed it just the way it was.
|Dastardly chocolate goatee|