Friday, June 27, 2014

7QT (Vol. 92): Dominicans, Bad Music, Skirts, and Flossing

-1-
A friend from my Catholic moms group recently sent a group email asking if anyone was interested in learning more about becoming a lay, or Third Order, Dominican. The possibility of joining a Third Order or similar apostolate had never crossed my mind. Not that I'd thought and dismissed it, it just had never occurred to me. When I read the email, I was immediately interested. I read about the Dominicans, Franciscans, and Carmelites. As much as I am drawn to the idea, I am also hesitant. It has only been two months since my husband and I made our consecration to Mary. I am concerned that jumping into another (though complementary) commitment may indicate a desire to check spiritual boxes rather than actually grow in holiness. Also, we are taking on another big commitment in the fall (see quick take #2), so I think this may not be the season in my life to take up the discipline of the Dominicans, as much as their charism appeals to me. But maybe this is the time for YOU!

-2-
Tomorrow afternoon, my family will meet a young lady from South Korea whom we will be hosting for the '14-'15 school year. I'm not sure if she wants her name online, so for now I will simply use her first initial. H will be going into her sophomore year of high school at Aquinas, my alma mater. She went to 8th grade downstate, then joined her current program for high school. This will be our first time hosting a student; we're glad at least she has some experience with cultural exchange. ;-) Anyway, she will visit us tomorrow briefly and drop off some of her belongings, rather than paying to ship them home for the summer and back again in the fall. We're excited!

-3-
I know many wives, myself included, who are grateful for the spiritual leadership their husbands provide. It is tempting sometimes, though, to be disappointed if our husbands don't lead perfectly. As usual, the fault is in ourselves. Part of humility is accepting imperfect leadership! Lift up your husband in prayer. Encourage him to find supportive Christian friendships. Forgive any failings; we're not perfect either. You know who was perfect? Mary. And Joseph, her devoted, loving, protecting, leading husband, was not. But we can be sure she did not resent this saintly man! Let us strive to follow her example.

-4-
Speaking of great husbands and fathers, I read a fantastic article titled, "On Daughters and Dating: How to Intimidate Suitors".
Instead of intimidating all your daughter’s potential suitors, raise a daughter who intimidates them just fine on her own. Because you know what’s intimidating? Strength and dignity. Deep faith. Self-assuredness. Wisdom. Kindness. Humility. Industriousness. Those are the bricks that build the wall that withstands the advances of Slouchy-Pants, whether you ever show up with your Winchester locked and loaded or not. The unsuitable suitor finds nothing more terrifying than a woman who knows her worth to God and to her family.
Read more here to find out why women like this might be considered "too strong" by Christian men.

-5-
Still here? OK, go read this one instead: The Hidden Hand Behind Bad Catholic Music. But come back, because I want to know what you think. I agree with the sentiment that liturgy is at times in danger of losing a sense of the sacred. With the author, I'm not crazy about a publishing company having such a huge influence on Mass. But I don't think "contemporary" music destroys Mass. I've heard that many "traditional" hymns share tunes with drinking songs popular at the time, so where would one draw the line?

-6-
When we go to Mass, Anne and I wear skirts or dresses; Peter and Jeremy wear pants. Everyone has shoulders covered. In the beautifully warm weather we've had recently, this means immediately changing out of pants and shawls/cropped sweaters when we get home, but to me it is worth it. It's not a modesty issue for me, but simply respect. In our culture, clothes like the ones we wear to church convey respect. I think I'll do a post some time soon about why I don't even think skirts are more modest (and why the current modesty dialogue may be harmful), but that's too long for a quick take.

-7-
Alright, one take just for fun. Peter got spinach caught in his teeth tonight (after ASKING to have spinach for dinner!), so had his first experience with dental floss. Seeing him, of course, Anne wanted a turn, so he tried to floss her teeth for her...
"No, Anne, don't stick out your tongue."
"Anne, when your tongue is like that, I can't even see your teeth."
(puts her in a headlock) "Anne, stop eating the dental floss; it's not food."
Maybe now he knows how we feel. :-)




Read more 7 Quick Takes at Conversion Diary

2 comments:

  1. It does my heart good reading about young Catholic Moms. You and your children are the future of our beautiful Church. You give older Catholics hope that all is not lost. I agree...don't rush into a Third Order commitment. Wait on God's nod. It will come at the right time. N (a proud SAR)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to encourage me. It means a lot.

      Delete