Monday, May 19, 2014

Becoming a Saint


A friend recently suggested I, out of a roomful of Catholics, was on my way to sainthood. She seemed sincere rather than teasing, so I said thank you and let it go. I must admit I was puzzled, though. I mean, I am striving for holiness, but I wasn't sure what she saw that set me apart. After giving it more thought, I have an idea about what prompted her comment: we're spiritual opposites.

I enjoy solitude, meditative prayer, and dense theological books. I tend to have a cognitive approach to my faith. I'm fairly reserved in social settings (because I feel uncomfortable), so I rarely say things impulsively. She notices in me what she aspires to in herself (I'd guess) and thinks I'm further along the path to sainthood.

She is outgoing, warmly welcoming the stranger and reaching out to the tired and lonely. She creates faith-filled community, building up the Body of Christ. She is open, feeling the hurts of those around her; a burden shared is a burden halved. She is honest, offering encouragement by sharing her own struggles. She enthusiastically enters into the joy of those around her. "The greatest of these is love" - which she has in abundance. I see in her what I hope to cultivate in myself.

There are different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Spirit; 
there are different forms of service but the same Lord; 
there are different workings but the same God who produces all of them in everyone.
1 Corinthians 12:4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment