Monday, April 21, 2014

33 Days to Morning Glory

He is risen! Alleluia!

Yesterday's celebration of the Resurrection was made even sweeter by making my consecration. Together with a handful of other Catholic moms and my husband, I have been on "retreat" most of Lent. After 33 days of preparation, we consecrated ourselves to Jesus through Mary.

Why through Mary? Because Jesus gave her to us as our mother. Because God entrusted Himself to her when He chose to become man. Because it is her mission to turn us into saints and lead us ever-closer to Christ.

Even in the past 24 hours since my consecration, I can see the graces Mary is bringing to us from God. I have received such a gift of peace and spiritual encouragement. I have a better understanding of Jesus' desire for us to come to Him. I have seen the Spirit directing my paths.

If you're a Christian whose church does not venerate Mary, you may well read this and squirm a bit uncomfortably, faint alarm bells of idolatry ringing. If that's you, I'd encourage you to read Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God by Scott Hahn, a convert to Catholicism with a gift for explaining the Scripture behind Catholic teachings.

If you're Catholic, you might read this and think, "That's nice for her. I don't have time / think that's going a bit far / would be bored..." If that's you, you're wrong. ;-) In all seriousness, consider reading 33 Days to Morning Glory by Fr. Michael Gaitley. It's engaging and an easy read.

Maybe you read this and a little flame of interest was kindled. In that case, definitely read 33 Days to Morning Glory! Learn from some spiritual giants (Louis deMonfort, Maximilian Kolbe, Mother Teresa, and Pope John Paul II) in an accessible fashion. If you're local and want to borrow my copy, let me know. Fr. Gaitley recommends starting the retreat so your consecration day falls on a Marian feast. If you want to do that, the next start date would be April 28.

Anne with a baptismal gift from her godmother

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I look forward to celebrating our consecration together tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have no idea why it is listing my name as princess piety.....I must have created that at some point, but I have ZERO memory of it....This is Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your writing style Liana! I'll follow your blog now. I also think princess piety is a good name for Sarah! I just adored her!

    ReplyDelete