Friday, December 13, 2013

7QT (Vol. 66): Tears

-1-
Have you heard Belleau Wood by Garth Brooks? I don't care if you don't like country music; you should go find a YouTube version and listen anyway. It is a fictional account (not actually based on the battle of Belleau Wood) of a Christmas truce in WWI. Although the song was released in 1997, yesterday was the first time I'd heard it. I cried. I cried for the ending of the truce, for soldiers ordered to kill, for the loss of humanity. I cried because it is still happening.

-2-
More than that, I cried because we scorn God. He gives us the greatest gift of life and we waste it. In war, yes, but in so many other less obvious ways too. "I'm sorry," I whispered.

-3-
Tonight, I attended our youth group's living nativity. It was beautiful. The kids faltered here and there with lines, but they portrayed the message of Christmas powerfully. I love these kids of ours. As they sang "Breath of Heaven", I prayed their words would come true for each of them. "Breath of Heaven lighten my darkness, pour over me your holiness, for you are holy, Breath of Heaven."

-4-
One young man did a solo of "Joseph's Lullaby" by MercyMe. I can vouch that at least two dads were wiping away tears. I hope and pray that these kids of ours were as touched by what they performed as we were. I want so badly to see them take ownership of their faith.

-5-
On a much lighter note, I did wipe away tears today playing outside with the kids. That wind gets cold! I think I spent about 10 minutes getting them both dressed for no more than 15 minutes of playing outside. Then we came inside. Both of them immediately collapsed into puddles of despair that I could not instantaneously remove all of their outerwear. Sigh.

-6-



-7-
It was totally worth it anyway. Reminded me of something I read years ago. "Why do you spend an hour getting all the stuff together and walking to the pool for less than 30 minutes of swimming?" "Because otherwise I have to think of something to do to entertain them for an hour!"


7 Quick Takes is hosted at Conversion Diary

No comments:

Post a Comment