Wednesday, October 30, 2013

All Saints Cupcakes and Giggles

I have two kids in my Sunday school class with a variety of food allergies between them. To serve everyone the same snack, it must have no dairy, eggs, gluten, peanuts, or tree nuts. I enjoy a challenge, though, so I decided to make cupcakes to celebrate All Saints Day. Peter helped. They weren't actually challenging, thanks to the good people at Cherrybrook Kitchens who make mixes that are free of all those allergens!


The white frosting (using shortening and rice 'beverage') represents clouds to show these holy folks are in heaven. (I adapted this idea from the more creative and dedicated mom at Catholic Cuisine.)


The children were all excited to have cupcakes with a saint's name similar to their own. We talked about all their saints and a couple more to boot. At the end of class, I prompted,
"Today we learned about friends of Jesus who live with him in Heaven. What did we call them?" "God!"
"Well, Jesus is God and he does live in Heaven. What did we say was a word for his friends, though?"
"Dead people!"

Oh, and the two with food allergies? Neither one came to class. I ate their cupcakes. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment