Monday, July 1, 2013

Worst Haircuts and other Great Photos

They show up on Facebook all the time. Most awkward pregnancy photos, worst tattoo spelling errors, most embarrassing family photos. They are often touted as "Top Twenty" or something else indicating these are the best. I have clicked to see many of them because they're intended to be funny, then felt... less. Less compassionate, less genuine. I have less human dignity.

Some time within the past month, I decided to stop. There are enough upliftinghigh-quality, and funny articles and blog posts out there for me to spend the rest of my life reading them. Why should I settle for what happens to pop up on Facebook when it is inane and often degrading?
Reading ought to be an act of homage to the God of all truth. ... Reading gives God more glory when we get more out of it, when it is a more deeply vital act not only of our intelligence but of our whole personality, absorbed and refreshed in thought, meditation, prayer, or even in the contemplation of God.
from Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton
It's not easy. Curiosity can be a strong motivator. But I believe life can be better than that.

Another story from my newsfeed. Much better.

2 comments:

  1. I think you sum it up perfectly when you say it makes you feel 'less'. I keep finding that I need to hide or remove people from my Facebook or other forms of social networking when my thoughts towards them start getting more and more critical and negative. It always begins innocently with the idle curiosity of wondering what certain acquaintances or former friends are up to, but too much involvement in a very one-dimensional portrayal of these lives doesn't always recreate a caring friendship. It is a good prompt for me to pray that God give me the grace to be more charitable and loving!

    ReplyDelete