Friday, May 24, 2013

7 Quick Takes (Vol. 41): Thoughts on Food

-1-
So, good news and bad news. Cutting out dairy from my diet has virtually eliminated Anne's gas pains. Her quality of life has improved dramatically, making her a much happier girl. That's the good news.

-2-
Bad news is that my husband is a cheese-phile. He was jokingly bemoaning his fate today, now that we've cut dairy from most of our dinners. I reminded him that he still has a cheese sandwich for breakfast and at least one glass of whole milk each day. "Yeah, but I miss my macaroni and cheese." He does make a mean baked mac-n-cheese.

-3-
I say we've cut dairy from most of our dinners. We still have quesadillas once or twice a week because Peter and my husband really enjoy them. I have my tortilla spread with peanut butter, sprinkled with raisins, and rolled up. Truthfully, I like it better this way. :-)

-4-
I saw this recipe on Facebook yesterday. Cookie cake with no eggs, grain, sugar, gluten, or milk. It is rumored to be excellent. I am almost curious enough to try it.


-5-
My friend, who enjoys exaggerating his conservative politics (he cheers for the Empire in Star Wars), was picking a flavor for the Keurig machine tonight. "Columbian fair trade? I don't know about that..." "Yeah, you like yours to taste like oppression."

-6-
Not to completely ruin your evening, but I did just learn something awful about Skittles. They replaced the lime with sour apple. I KNOW! Who does that?!

-7-
I want your ridiculously cheap recipes that are dairy free. I've had two problems searching the Internet: dairy-free usually brings up vegan (and I'm fine with eggs, for example) and there's no way for me to know if it's any good. So, please share!

4 comments:

  1. My problem with the cookie recipe (as with many gluten-free recipes) is the almond flour. EVERYTHING calls for that, and I have one with a tree nut allergy. I've started grinding my own wheat, and my one with gluten sensitivity (no celiac) can eat that with no problem. So I make all our bread, etc. from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, how frustrating! Your kids are blessed to have you.

      Delete
  2. Are you vegetarian? Because if not, I have a morrocan chicken recipe I can send you and a Chicken Shawarma recipe that's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not vegetarian and like chicken because it's cheap. I'd love your recipes!

      Delete