Friday, November 30, 2012

7 Quick Takes (Vol. 19): Summer Babies are Better

-1-
Peter was a summer baby, born in mid July. When I told people I was expecting, many of them lamented how hard it would be to have a summer baby. It would just be too hot. I would be so miserable. Imagine carrying all that extra weight in the hottest temperatures of the year!

3 days before Peter was born. Still had not spontaneously combusted.

-2-
Even at the time, I thought it would be much easier to have a summer baby than a winter baby. First of all, I live near Rochester, NY, where the average high temperature in July is only 83F. Not exactly oppressive heat. But I mostly held my tongue, because what did I know? This was my first child, so I had no experience from which to draw about either summer or winter babies.

-3-
Now I have experience. Summer babies are better.

-4-
For one thing, summer weather is much more conducive to exercising regularly. With Peter's pregnancy, I took long walks in the evening with my husband almost every day. My brother is in the area and has a pool, so I went swimming regularly. This time around, I spend my evenings snuggled up in a blanket, marveling at how quickly it gets dark.

-5-
Summer weather also means fewer clothes and therefore a cheaper wardrobe. I'd been assured that being pregnant would make me noticeably warmer, a drawback in the summer but a definite plus in the winter. I haven't found that to be true in either pregnancy. Last time around, all I needed was a few pairs of shorts and some tank-tops. Now I need to layer up with a shirt, sweatshirt, and a coat just to go grocery shopping. I am refusing to buy a maternity coat, so I'm making do with the loose jackets I have and leaving my real winter coat unzipped the few times I've worn it. (Unzipping a coat makes it much less effective, if you were wondering.)

-6-
I'm not looking forward to having a newborn in January. Our lovely location on Lake Ontario moderates the cold (average low temp in Jan. is 17F), but it's still pretty cold, especially for a baby. Peter had some jaundice, but it was easy to take him out for some indirect sun every day. This baby will be lucky to have sun on anything but its face in the first few months. Extra blankets, bundling up and taking it all off again, more layers for diaper changes... doesn't sound appealing.

-7-
So if you're getting ready to share your good news with family over the holidays, be ready for the naysayers lamenting your summer pregnancy. Then reply, "Could be worse. It could be a winter baby!" (Unless you live in Dallas or somewhere like that. Then summer might actually be worse.)

9 comments:

  1. Oh man... I can't agree more! Flip flops and tank tops are where it's at when you're preggers. Plus when you're pregnant in the winter you've gotta find a coat to cover your belly. Not fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. And I've decided I should add "prevalence of colds" to the list... it has recently occurred to me that labor would be more unpleasant if I can't breathe easily. :-P

      Delete
  2. I loved having a winter baby! However, it was last winter up here where the snow was pretty much non-existent. But I think I just enjoy being pregnant so much that it might not matter when and it'd be fun to see how a summer baby experience would be.

    Somehow I was super warm all last winter so I never even used sheets at night-time and dropped the thermostat way down at night to accommodate my internal body heater. (Poor husband had to bundle under lots of comforters!). And I refused to get a maternity coat too; a friend loaned me her coat that was 2 sizes too big for me normally, so that fit me well during the end stages of pregnancy!

    Glad to hear some positives about having summer babies!! People will nay-say about anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call with the big coat idea... maybe I'll check and see if I can find something at the thrift store where my mom volunteers. Gotta be cheaper than a maternity coat!

      Delete
  3. When I was expecting Karen, I was still employed downtown Roch. Had to take two buses to get to work and I did splurge on a new winter coat to button properly. It was expensive around $49.00 with tax, but it did last for all six of my pregnancies. It was a light beige color and had double breasted buttons. I loved it and I just did not want to look like a dork on the buses going to/from work or to mass each week. You do not have much longer to go, but as you are well aware good deals can be found at thrift stores. Stay well..... mb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a coat that still buttons, so at least for Mass and other more formal places I'm set. It's not as warm as my "real" winter coat, though, so I'm at a bit of a loss when Peter wants to play outside. One of my friends suggested just buying a regular coat a few sizes too big, so maybe I'll check thrift stores for that.

      Delete
  4. I don't really know what it is like if you have to take baby out in the car or anything, because we don't have one, but having a November baby wasn't as bad as I thought it might be in terms of getting out and about. I took him everywhere in the Moby wrap, so that automatically gave him a few more layers, plus my own body heat. I often didn't even put him in a coat, just a fleece all-in-one thing over a onesie (of course, it usually doesn't get below freezing in the day here), with a hat and sweater. If doing this, I definitely found it easier to put my own coat on over the Moby, because you do not want to have to make the choice between boiling in too many layers inside or wake the sleeping baby to get your coat off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call with the coat/Moby wrap! Always good to hear the voice of experience. :-) Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I actually have a picture of David in his early days in the Moby wrap under my "too big" coat while we were outside walking the kitties. It works!

      Delete