Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hills and Valleys of Motherhood

Peter was up late last night and took a short nap today. So when he climbed into my lap in the late afternoon, I was more than happy to let him curl up and fall asleep. It's probably been months since the last time he fell asleep in my arms. I just soaked up the rightness of his little body curled up so trustingly, his warm little head tucked under my chin. One of those hilltop moments of parenting.

More or less like this. Has it really been two years already?

When he woke, I noticed he seemed a bit too warm; the thermometer showed a low-grade fever. For dinner we coaxed him to eat a few grapes and a few bites of applesauce, but he wasn't really interested. Since he still was lethargic, we decided this would be a good time to let him watch TV for the first time.

The three of us curled up on the couch to watch Thomas the Tank Engine. Peter was on my lap, relaxed and happy and even eating a few more grapes while entranced with the show. And then suddenly the grapes and everything else were moving in the opposite direction. All over my shirt. And so I sat there in, um, "goo" while we cleaned him off and calmed him down to the point where he would allow me to go shower.

Did I mention this was about 30 minutes before I had to leave for youth group? The valley moments of parenting...

Epilogue: We cleaned him off in the shower, got him into his fleece footed pajamas, and he and my husband visited my mom while I was at youth group. He had fun and was quite chipper this evening. He ate some more applesauce and yogurt before bed, so hopefully is hydrated and going to keep that down. So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment