Friday, September 7, 2012

7 Quick Takes (Vol 7): Nesting Already?

-1-
I have been ultra-motivated this week to clean and organize our house. (Except the dishes. I'm rarely motivated to wash dishes. Not sure why laundry appeals to me so much more.) I guess it could be "nesting" although I'm only 22 weeks along, so that seems unlikely. Anyway, I am awesome.

-2-
Three years ago, my mom and I pulled up the carpeting in the hallway and the master bedroom. I decided not to pull up the carpet from the walk-in closet, mainly because the shelving in there is somewhat built in, so it would require more effort. I also didn't pry up the carpet tacks from under the bed. Because I am that lazy. And no one ever walked under the bed.

-3-
Today, I completed the flooring project! I trimmed the carpet and nailed down a metal border so the closet no longer looks rattty. My mom and husband helped me move the bed so I could easily reach the carpet tacks and finish cleaning the floor. AND I hand-washed the entire hardwood floor. Didn't I tell you I am awesome?!

-4-

Yesterday, I hung two holy water fonts that my mom bought for me while on a retreat recently. Peter was very excited. He kept zipping between the two (one he can reach from the bottom step; the other is mounted for his height), blessing himself with the Sign of the Cross and saying, "Bwess!"


-5-
In less adorable news, I also replaced our toilet seat. Did everyone else except me already know how easy that was to do? I was ready for a Major Project, but it's so simple it didn't even come with instructions. I now feel a little silly for postponing that for so long. (Pro tip: Home Depot seats are significantly less expensive than Bed Bath & Beyond seats.)

-6-
Since rain is predicted for the next three days, I also conquered two loads of laundry, so everything is clean except a few diapers. Even the guest bedroom sheets! (We've had a recurring guest recently, so I haven't washed them after every use. But now they are line-dried fresh!)

-7-
Speaking of diapers: If you did cloth diapers through toilet training, how did you handle the laundry? Because now it takes five or six days to get a full load, by which point the older ones are starting to stink. I think my options are 1) do a small load every 2-3 days, which means the washing machine is running less efficiently, 2) do a mixed load of diapers and clothes, which means I'm using my good diaper detergent on regular clothes, or 3) deal with the stink. Am I missing something?


12 comments:

  1. I would rinse my diapers really well, even ones that were just wet, before I put them in the diaper pail. Cut down on the stink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds promising, and not much more work. Just may be the solution!

      Delete
  2. We are only a few weeks apart on our second babes!!

    Regarding number 7.... I am in the same predicament. I basically lose my breath every time I open the pail past day 2 or 3 and then about die when I dump the whole thing into the washer on day 5ish. Sheesh!! I'm with you on the small load every 2-3 days being less effective, but it's almost worth it to me now! Additionally, I was reading that it's really "bad" on the diapers because the waste (either type) starts breaking down the natural fibers, thus making the diapers weaker and less likely to last through other kids....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for second babies! :-) Didn't know it could harm the diapers; that's definitely something to consider in choosing a solution.

      Delete
  3. Just a little tip with the diapers. :) I started using Rockin' green pail freshener when my daughter was potty training age and it helps, also get the diaper really wet with plain water before tossing it in the pail, helps with the stink and helps them get cleaner in the wash. I also did follow the instructions for soaking diapers with Rockin'green which comes on their packaging. Or an overnight soak with however much of whichever detergent you use for a normal load (maybe a bit more?) should get rid of any lingering stinkies. Just wash as usual with an extra rinse after the soak, depending on your water you may want to decrease or skip adding detergent again. Just my 2 cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a lot of success with Rockin' Green detergent keeping the residual stinks at bay, so maybe the pail freshener is a worthwhile investment. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize we were at practically the same point - I'm 21 weeks along right now. :) I'm also nesting prematurely - with my others I didn't start until a week or two before they were born, but with #3 I think I'm getting a head start.

    In any case... I am torn about the cloth diapering as well! Our bill went way up because we had so much more laundry to do. It would take us a few days to fill up a load but with the amount of diapers we had going we were doing a load per day. I think this time around we are going with flats - they are cheap enough that we can get a big stack of them, and hopefully I can find some sort of airtight solution for them so there's no smell issue. At least for the newborn months, when they go so frequently... Wondering if there's a better solution, though. We don't have a ton to spend on the diapering issue, but it's not like disposables come cheap either. Argh. Maybe it's just a matter of early potty training. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of my nesting is that this is a winter baby and I want to have everything done before I hibernate. :-) Were either of your other two winter babes?

      When we did the math, we found cloth to still be cheaper than disposable, even with the laundry. But yeah, cheap is relative. :-P We're using a cloth diaper service for the first month, as we did with Peter, to cut down on laundry. It's more expensive, but we thought it was worth it in the beginning. (And you're in their service area!)

      Delete
  5. As further proof of my nesting craze, since our homeschool picnic was rained out due to the storms, today's big plan is? To clean out and organize the bathroom cabinets. And I'm actually excited to tackle them. Right... Because that totally sounds like a fun Saturday, normally. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally be on board with organizing bathroom cabinets. Maybe the linen closet instead. Insanity loves company, right? :-)

      Delete
  6. About #7, I throw some baking soda in there and it helps the smell a lot. If I don't have a full load when I need to wash them, I put some towels/anything I don't mind washing w/them in the wash to make it full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that baking soda can mess up PUL (though I don't know how), but worth looking into more. We do keep a container of it next to the pail to do some damage control. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete