Monday, August 27, 2012

Tandem Nursing?

For those unfamiliar with the term, tandem nursing refers to breastfeeding two kids of different ages at the same time. Since the first time I heard of it, it hasn't appealed to me in the least. Now, I don't think there is anything wrong with it if a woman wants to, but it just didn't seem like something I would want to do.

Peter, apparently, has different plans. Tonight we were talking again about the baby while he hugged my belly, saying hi. He asked again for the baby to come out, and I replied as usual that the baby would stay in until winter, then when it was born we would bring it home.

"Lala?" "Yes, we can take the baby to the library."
"Ma?" "Yes, we can take the baby to the mall." "Dada." "With Daddy."
"Pway?" "Play?" "Pway." "Pray?" *nods* "Yes, I would love to pray with you and the baby."
*signs 'nurse'* "You want to nurse with the baby?" *nods* "Um, maybe." "Meemee."

I don't plan on nursing through this pregnancy. Currently, he only nurses at night and for less than a minute on each side. I plan to phase that out completely before the third trimester, mostly because it's getting rather uncomfortable. I had figured once he was weaned, he was done. But now? Well, I guess I'll see what he thinks as it gets closer. At any rate, I plan to give it more thought, since it seems like something he wants.

Could be us. Who knows?

2 comments:

  1. i never, ever, ever would have in a million years thought that i would be tandem nursing my kiddos - i didn't actually know what it was until a couple months before i got pregnant with ellie. honestly, i never thought that i would be nursing a 2 yr old. period. but, even though the nursing is pretty uncomfortable during pregnancy (which is totally normal) i'm thankful that i even had the option of tandem nursing. by the time ellie was born, david was down to about once a day, at bed time, occasionally twice a day if he woke up from his nap and was really cranky. since ellie has been born he seems to ask to nurse more often, although, some days he doesn't nurse at all. i will say, it is definitely a bonus to have a nursing toddler, especially if you end up with a clogged duct or even just particularly full b/c they can help empty you out and much more efficiently than a pump or hand expressing would. i would recommend not totally counting it out. also, a friend (who tandem nurses) recommended "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" (it's by LLL) and it is pretty great - everything from nursing positions during pregnancy to how to manage 2 nurslings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the recommendation (and advice from personal experience!). I'll have to check it out!

      Delete