Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Heart Baking Soda

If I were a supermom, my Batmobile equivalent, equipped to handle every disaster, would be baking soda. My husband was impressed today as I introduced him to yet another use of this cheap and effective cleaner. Here are just some of the uses for this non-toxic household essential:

  • Sprinkle it on the rug before vacuuming. Freshens the rug and the vacuum bag!
  • Use as a paste to scour most metal or marble surfaces.
  • If you use enough friction (not pressure!) and brush with baking soda a couple times weekly, you never need toothpaste.
  • An important ingredient in making your own deodorant.
  • Open containers can limit smells and 'flavor contamination' in the fridge and freezer.
  • Keep an open container next to the diaper pail to combat odor.
  • I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I hear from many that it is excellent as a shampoo alternative!
  • Run it through the dispose-all (again, to get rid of smells)
How about you? Any other uses for my favorite tool? Or do you have another superhero must-have?



6 comments:

  1. Just wanted to confirm that yes it indeed does work as a shampoo alternative. I've been shampoo free for about two years now and am as happy as can be. I don't follow a strict regimen like some people do about baking soda and vinegar... but if I notice my hair is getting dingy (such as after going somewhere polluted, like the city, or a really sweaty day) I will wash it with baking soda and vinegar and it really does freshen it up. Just make sure that if you do that you give your hair time to transition, it can take a month or so for it to get the oil levels right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the endorsement! I'm not opposed to trying it, but so far I've been using Burt's Bees, which I often receive as a present, so I have no financial or environmental motivation. :-)

      Delete
  2. It is great at stopping an allergic reaction. 1 tsp mixed in 8 oz of water, drink, and repeat as needed. Saved me the other day when I accidentally was fed a duck egg. Has worked for counter acting some of the nasty symptoms of poison ivy too, such as swelling and itchiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, never heard that one! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. You can use baking soda to stop an itch topically. Mix with enough water to make a paste and apply to bug bites. I also use baking soda instead of shampoo and it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me, we used it for a bath when I had chickenpox as a kid, mixed with tepid water. The relief was instant!

      Delete