Thursday, May 24, 2012

Homeschooling Goals / Educational Philosophy

I recently discovered an excellent book at our library. 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum, which sounds like an overview of curricula, is much better defined by its subtitle: Choosing the Right Curriculum and Approach for Your Child's Learning Style. While the curriculum reviews were somewhat helpful, the real value of this book is the first few chapters, which guide you through developing your own goals for homeschooling and educational philosophy. This book also helps you understand how different learning styles interact with a variety of educational models and helps you choose the model(s) that are a best fit for you and your family. An excellent book!

After developing my own goals for Peter's education and choosing the style I thought would work best for our family, I gave the book to my husband. I wanted him to complete the same exercises, without knowing what I had written, to see how much common ground we had. Thankfully, we're in agreement on pretty much everything, including a strong preference for unit studies and Charlotte Mason's model of education. Of course, this may change as time passes, but it's nice to know we're starting from the same page.

Today's lesson: Mozzarella sticks stay hot a long time,
even when you blow on them.

Below, I have written verbatim what my husband and I wrote as our goals for Peter's education. I think it's interesting that, while our style of list-making is different, we ended up with the same goals.

Liana
value as a child of God
importance of domestic, local, national & international community
appreciation of music, art, &  literature
how to write in varied genres/styles
practical hands-on skills
stewardship of money, planet, self
understand real-world math & science
how to research and study
Jeremy
Spirituality
Empathy
Creativity
Creativity
Practical Knowledge
Ethics
Tech Skills
Grit

What goals do you have for your children? How are you meeting these goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment