Saturday, May 12, 2012

Help! Possibly going crazy...

I finished the 5K today without walking! And I'm still semi-functional! We'll see how I'm doing tomorrow, but considering I didn't actually end up training for this one, I think 34:47 isn't bad.


I'm not sure if the race is a contributing factor or if being sick has just pushed him to new limits, but for the first time in all our nursing relationship, I am "touched out". I just want to tell him to keep his hands to himself. Every time he nurses, he wants to rub my back, arms, stomach, any place he can reach to touch my skin. It's driving me batty. I thought wearing a nursing tank top would help, since that blocks access to most of my skin, but it just created a different problem. Now his hands just roam constantly, looking for an in.

If he wasn't sick, I would stop this nonsense, but I know he's miserable. I'm trying very hard not to lose my patience or sanity. In the mean time, I think I'm going to take a shower now that he is finally asleep. (After two hours of crying and nursing, often at the same time.) Any advice for how to avoid losing my mind?


Edit: Turns out I was pregnant!

7 comments:

  1. I felt like that a few times in my over 80 months of nursing 4 children. Time alone was super helpful and doing something for me. Trying to distract the wandering hands helps, a string of beads or soft fabric to rub sometimes helps. 3 out of 4 of my nursers liked to touch me, my fourth probably being the worst...it sometimes made me want no one to touch me, even my husband. Adult time alone always helped me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! Fabric doesn't seem to interest him, but I'll have to try a child-friendly necklace.

      Delete
  2. It is okay to set limits even with a toddler. I learned this with my first one and set some clear boundaries with the other kiddos. I would give them something else to occupy their hands with. Does he have a lovey, a stuffed animal he likes? Let him hold that while nursing and see if that helps to keep hands from roaming, or hold his hands while nursing. And it is okay to tell him that the nursing has to rest for a while, he may not be happy but happiness is not always a guarantee in life is it? Hope tomorrow goes easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned to my husband once that Peter doesn't have any security blanket or lovey. He said, "Yes he does. You." Now that Peter is on the upswing from being sick, I've started putting more boundaries in place. He's doing OK with it and I am happier. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. Well done on the race!

    Roaming hands--aargh! I know exactly how you feel. We sometimes do pat-a-cake or something similar when I have just had enough, but I don't know how much that would help when he is just sick and tired. I hope Peter is feeling a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yeah, sometimes he's content to give me high fives or just lie quietly. I have started just holding his hand if he gets to be too much, which he's not thrilled about, but leaves me sane enough to keep going with this. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Nicole, I accidentally deleted your comment after replying to it! Argh. Anyway, glad to connect with a fellow Rochester-area mom. :-) Your farm looks wonderful. Maybe next year we'll get a share... we haven't in the past, but I've considered it multiple times.

    ReplyDelete