Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Be Ridiculous: Traveling as a Single Parent Part 2

Since I was responsible for Peter and all of our luggage, I packed very lightly. Everything we brought, including cloth diapers, fit into a backpack and a small rolling suitcase. To make this work, I only brought enough diapers for two days, figuring I would do a load of laundry Saturday night after I put Peter to bed.

On the floor at their house, since he refuses pack-n-plays.

I thought about calling my cousin to warn her, then dismissed the idea. After all, who would object to me doing one load of laundry? I was even bringing my own detergent! I figured it was ridiculous to even ask.

When we arrived, my cousin was advising me never to replace all of our appliances at once. They did that thirteen years ago. "And now everything broke the same week! The refrigerator, the washing machine... Oh no. You use cloth diapers! Were you planning to do a load?" She started to laugh and admitted she had thought about calling to warn me, then dismissed the idea. After all, I would only be staying two days. She figured it was ridiculous to even bring it up.

Moral: Be ridiculous.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! Admittedly, we sometimes travel with disposables. Not proud, but it works when you don't have a washing machine on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it, but we've had bad experiences with disposables for him... they often leak. I didn't want to be changing outfits with every diaper change! :-)

      Delete
  2. What a great story! :) I'm just impressed you could fit two days worth of cloth diapers and supplies into your luggage. We tried to do that once, and it took an entire suitcase just for the diapers. In the end, we decided to just go with disposables for the trip so that we could actually pack some clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually we use pockets, which would definitely have taken up too much room. For travel, we usually use prefolds and covers, which are a lot more compact. And disposables, for us, mean we need to pack more clothes, because we haven't found any that don't leak. Maybe he's a weirdly shaped boy. :-)

      Delete
  3. O.K. so what did you do? Go to a laundromat? Aunt Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. When Michelle went to do her laundry, we went along and did a load, so it all worked out in the end.

      Delete
    2. O.K. glad to know you solved the dilemma. Have a very Happy Mother's Day. Love, Aunt Monica

      Delete