Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Ahem." -God

I'm a planner. I don't adapt well to change, disrupted routine, or altered expectations. Today went all wrong. Except that in the end, it was just as it was supposed to be.

This morning, I had my day planned. Take my husband to work and the car to the mechanic. Visit the nearby playground until the oil change and inspection were done. At home, do diaper laundry and prepare potatoes for soup tonight. When Peter napped, I would shower and get some dishes done. I would visit my mom at the thrift store, have dinner, go to youth group, and stop by a friend's birthday party briefly in the evening. A busy but doable day.

So much to do, so little time!

Except the car did not pass inspection.

Nearly $300 and 6.5 hours later, it is street-legal again, but my day was in shambles. No laundry, dishes, or soup. I showered at my parents' house. (And as much as I like using eco-friendly detergent and such, their towels smell awesome.) For the first time all year, I skipped youth group, assuaging my guilt by remembering that they were food shopping tonight, so no serious conversations anyway.

So we had dinner at our friend's birthday party. Peter had a ball, playing with the "big kids" and running back and forth across the stage in the church basement. I got to talk with a mom who is homeschooling her three kids and belongs to the local Catholic homeschool association. Our friend was happy to see us. We had chocolate cake. It was a much more relaxing evening than what I had originally planned.

And when we got home, Peter was so tired he nursed to sleep in about ten minutes.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, 
 Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD.
Isaiah 55:8

Oh right. This life isn't about me being in control. Thanks for the reminder!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Liana. You make me want your perspective on life. I guess the reminders on your blog are a start? I should be in touch more, via blog comments here or otherwise. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, my blog is a reminder to me, too. Just writing about things helps me keep them in a better perspective.

      We miss you too!

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the car! Very frustrating. But some days, it is nice to just throw out all the plans, and it sounds like you had a great evening in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did indeed! God works all things to the good of those who love Him. Sometimes it's more obvious than others! :-)

      Delete