Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How do you measure age?

The sixth graders cheered tonight because they only have a few weeks left of being the youngest in youth group.

An eighth grade boy made repeated snide comments in our small group about seventh graders and their immaturity until I told him not to talk unless he could stop denigrating the other group members. (I think part of why he stopped was the new vocabulary word. Big words can cow arrogant teenagers.)

Of my four high school yearbooks (all compiled by editors who were seniors), three proclaim seniors as the best, ridiculing the other classes. I don't think this is unique to my school.

And then at some point, many women inexplicably consider their age to be private information. Do they begin to feel old? How is that even measured? Because my Grandpa was still traveling halfway across the country into his mid 80s, but I know of folks in their 70s who feel the best of life is over.

Age is a strange thing.

Or maybe it's just me... :-)

Being a 28 year old is strange, too.

I am married with a child; most of my friends are not. I work a lot with kids, but I think few of their parents consider me a peer. My son is too young. Of the other youth group leaders, I'm closest in age to a senior in high school who helps with the junior youth group. He and I get along well, joking around, but obviously I'm not his peer either.

I don't consider my age something about which to brag. Nor am I ashamed of it. I just wish I knew more people who shared it. Or, you know, were within a decade of it and wanted to hang out.

6 comments:

  1. pick me pick me! i'm not only within the decade, but within the year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, this is true. Fun at the zoo today, thanks for picking up us carless folk! :-)

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm 25! Is that close enough?

    Now that I'm an adult, I find people seem to group themselves, not by age, but by stage of life -- marital status, age of kids, etc. My parents stuck with their college friends most of the time, even though they started having kids at 19, and so there were hardly any kids around for us to play with, and when there were, they were way too young. So I tend to try to find friends with toddlers, even though many of them are older than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've noticed that, too (stage-of-life). I don't really know many people with toddlers, period, though. Perhaps there are more at church than I realize but their little ones are in child care during Mass. * shrug * And yes, you definitely "count" - want to move to upstate NY? ;-)

      Delete
  3. I totally hear you. I'm 29 now and expecting baby #3 - my other kiddos are 4 and 5. When I first had them, I was way younger than the others in the mommy circles I was interested in. Now most of my peers are just starting to have kids, and I feel like an old pro by now at the baby thing. :) Incidentally, I just found your blog tonight and have been reading it, nodding along at tons of posts. Are you in the Rochester area? I see you mentioned it in a few posts but I wasn't sure if you just grew up here or if you still did live here. We just moved to a town on the outskirts of it a few months ago (won't mention the name but there's a big lake here!!) and don't know a soul here yet - so if you ever take weirdo blog-stalkers up, we could do a park date sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to meet a weirdo blog-stalker! :-) Shoot me an email at TheCatholicMommy*at*gmail*dot*com and we can take it from there.

      Delete