Friday, March 2, 2012

Tidbits

I am reading... Smart Martha's Catholic Guide for Busy Moms, again. I love this book! It's full of practical suggestions and spiritual insights. The author calls us all to balance the responsibilities of Martha with the prayerful attitude of Mary. Only $10 on Amazon!

The "Smart Martha" who raised me!

I am praying for... my best friend, who is struggling in a critical, capricious work environment. I pray for her mental and physical health, for strength for her husband, and for new employment opportunities to open for her.

My favorite seasonal food is... Irish soda bread! I really don't like cabbage. Corned beef is delicious, but can't quite beat warm, homemade Irish soda bread with raisins. Two weeks until St. Patrick's Day!

I am planning... to meet with my husband's favorite Sunday School teacher tomorrow. He considers her one of the strongest influences on his faith. I'm hoping to get some pointers on taking lessons beyond the textbook to teach faith, not just knowledge.

I was recently surprised by... how poorly the dentist interacted with Peter for his first appointment. The hygienist was great, but I have the feeling the dentist is very young and has little experience with children. He scolded Peter when he got scared! We're not expected to return for a year, though, so I'll give him one more chance when Peter is 2.5 years instead.

4 comments:

  1. Do you have a recipe for Irish Soda Bread that you can share?
    Also, if your next visit to the dentist doesn't work out well, perhaps you could try a pediatric dentist? We haven't taken David yet (most of the places around here won't see kids til age 3) but judging by the way he acts when the pediatrician (who he really likes) needs to look in his mouth, I'm not so sure that a trip to the dentist now would be very successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the recipe from my mom!
      Yeah, we got a couple recommendations for pediatric dentists from families at church. I was hoping we could all go to one, just for convenience, but if the next visit goes poorly we'll change.

      Delete
  2. You may find the book Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel very interesting. Frankly, I am surprised that a dentist would see a child so young. I wouldn't take my kids back if a dentist treated them that way. If course, we don't do the yearly check up thing any more because all of the dentists around here push fluoride, BPA filled sealants, and have the drill and fill attitude with no real understanding of the healing capacity that teeth (being bone) have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see if our library has a copy of that! I wanted to take him because he has a tiny chip on his front tooth (hit his mouth on the slate in our entryway, bad mommy moment). Thankfully, the dentist said it was no big deal and that it should be fine without treatment.

      Delete