Friday, March 9, 2012

"Tell Me About Yourself"

I used to dread the command, "Tell me about yourself." Whether it was part of an interview process, a classroom icebreaker, or just someone making casual conversation, I always thought my answers were inadequate. I'd state my major or job, where I lived, and maybe my favorite color. I'd throw in something pertinent to the situation. Cringe-worthy small talk.

Yep, this is me. I'm just a photo ID badge.

In 2005, I did a lot of soul-searching, largely related to vocation discernment. I learned about myself, who I was and what labels I had embraced. During that time, I decided to plan an answer for the next time I was told to talk about myself.

(The next time it happened was late in 2005, with a young man I barely knew. He was driving me to a youth group volunteer event and wanted a way to pass the time. "Tell me about yourself." My answers intrigued him. Within three years, we were married. This doesn't happen every time I talk about myself.)

How do I answer now? I touch on five major aspects of myself. The specific answers vary relative to what is going on in my life, but the themes are consistent. Here are my answers today.

  • Faith: I'm currently attending the Catholicism Series on Thursday nights. My friend Fr. Brian is showing them and leading a discussion session afterwards. The series is great! I like being challenged and learning more about my faith.
  • Passion: I'm really passionate about helping kids. I did it professionally through a few different avenues before my son was born, now he's my #1 priority. I teach Sunday School and help with youth group, which certainly is a different audience from foster kids or children in special education, but kids everywhere have the same basic needs to be loved and know someone listens to them.
  • Family: I'm excited about my brother and sister-in-law coming into town for Easter. My other brother lives in the area, so it will be nice to have our whole family together. My Goddaughters and their dad are coming, too. It will definitely be a full house, but you can't have too much family!
  • Hobbies: I like to sing and write and scrapbook, although I haven't had a lot of time for the last one. We have lots of music in our house, since my husband plays guitar and drums and my son learned how to turn on the stereo before he was a year old! For writing, I have a blog that I write 5-6 times each week. I appreciate the opportunity to practice writing and use my critical thinking skills.
  • Dreams: I would like to travel more, if we had the time and money. I'm looking forward to homeschooling Peter as he gets older. I'm also tossing around the idea of writing a book, or maybe just a series of articles, on teaching a healthy view of sexuality to young children.

How about you? Tell me about yourself.

Me! With my husband & best friend! Just caught a foul ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment