Saturday, March 3, 2012

Not a Prayer Warrior

I am absolutely lousy at intercessory prayer. I lack discipline and commitment, even as I desire to be faithful about lifting others to God. When I pray, I find myself at a lack for words, I forget those for whom I was going to pray, I get distracted. I have been so inspired in my faith to hear the prayers of ardent spiritual warriors, to witness the faithfulness of regular intercessors. I want to be that example for Peter and my kids at church and I fall so flat.

I can't say enough, be enough, do enough to change the world.

God, take from me the desire to be enough and create in me the desire to be with You. Amen.


2 comments:

  1. When I was growing up, the sister's at elementary school would remind us to say a short prayer whenever we heard the police or fire sirens. To this day I remember that advice. One time I told that to a friend of mine, and she liked the idea and now does the same. When I pass my friend's houses or neighborhoods, I send up a little prayer for those folks. Prayer for me is simply like talking to God and I have plenty of concerns running around in my head to talk about. On the side of the fridge, I have a small name card for each of the nine grandchildren. When I see those little cards, I remember to send up another short prayer for those precious children. mb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that at school, too! With Peter, I pray the opening lines of the Liturgy of the Hours, paraphrased; "God come to their assistance, Lord make haste to help them." Thank you for the other ideas; I'll give them a try.

      Delete