Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Neurotic Mommy Strikes Again

As far as I can tell, Peter is developing wonderfully. He can do simple jigsaw puzzles, hold a crayon in a modified tripod grasp, reliably count to four with one-to-one correspondence, and identify all his letters. He plays well with other kids, sits quietly for stories, and can kick and throw a ball.

So why do I always feel like he needs enrichment?

I have this nagging concern that he doesn't have enough "learning opportunities." I'm afraid he'll get bored. I realize this is nuts, but I can't seem to let it go. I get these great ideas for improving his literacy or oral language or faith formation or whatever else... and must remind myself that he is only 20 months old. (Thankfully, I'm not on Pinterest. I think that would push me over the edge.)


I think part of the problem is that I love planning. Once he is older, I look forward to planning a curriculum. I love tinkering with the teaching materials I have for Sunday school to make them more engaging than just an assigned chapter. I like figuring out what teaching styles work best for different children and different types of information.

Blocks and books and cuddles, while a lot of fun, don't feel like teaching. What a silly mommy.

4 comments:

  1. Relax you are probably doing enough, but sometimes kids learn best when they are given the opportunity to be bored. At his age kids learn best through play, give him a bowl a spoon and a potato and let him play while you make dinner. He will be learning so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always appreciate your down-to-earth advice.

      Delete
  2. i made some flash cards for david (haven't actually printed them off yet - out of cardstock - but i made them!) so we can work on shapes and colors and numbers and letters. if you would like to use any or all of them i'd be happy to email them to you (i just made them in word). but i definitely agree with lisa, they learn SO much through play, exploration and observation. it amazes me the things that david picks up on, understand or figures out for himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer! I actually have some my mom picked up at a thrift store, but so far have resisted using them. :-) These boys of ours are amazing creations of God, are they not? So honored He trusts me this much!

      Delete