Thursday, March 8, 2012

Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe

A friend recently asked for my Irish soda bread recipe. I got it from my mom; it's so easy even I can make it!

Ingredients
5 1/2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c butter
2 c buttermilk (or 2 tbs lemon juice + 2 c milk, let stand 10-15 minutes)
1 egg
1 1/2 c raisins (up to 2 cups, if you like raisins!)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
Stir in butter until the mixture is crumbly, shape like a volcano with a crater on top.
Combine milk and eggs in a separate bowl, use them to fill crater.
Stir in raisins and mix well.

Knead dough on a floured board until smooth.
Divide dough into four parts, shaping each into a round loaf ~2 inches thick.
Cut a cross on each loaf (pushing down with a butter knife until the indentation is visible).
Lightly sprinkle the top of each loaf with flour.
Bake loaves, 2 at a time, on a well-greased baking sheet for 30 to 40 minutes.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! (2011)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Thanks to you and your mom for the recipe.
    Sorry that you have to moderate your comments :o(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! And yeah, I've gotten a few rude comments from people who won't even give a name. I'm deciding between keeping comment moderation or making people register in order to comment. (Which wouldn't affect you either way, since you already use your Google account.)

      Delete
  2. perhaps i will have to try the recipe...... definitely LOVE the picture though!

    hi donna!

    moderating comments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's very photogenic. :-) (See above for info on comments.)

      Delete
  3. I wanted to say hi and to invite you to link up one of your posts on a networking meme.I've received a few requests to open up “Pay It Forward” to posts from a bloggers own blog and I thought I'd give it a try. Although the original idea was to share what you've seen elsewhere on the internet, I recognize that each time we post something on our own blogs we are also sharing Good News, great tips, wonderful prayers, fabulous photos, scrumptious recipes, hilarious humor, unbelievable books, stories of goodwill, or good things that have knocked our socks off. I hope you’ll post something from your blog.

    I'll leave the March linky open until March 14th. I can't wait to see what gets posted! http://alife-sizecatholicblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/ive-received-few-requests-to-open-up.html

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invitation! What a great idea!

      Delete