Wednesday, March 21, 2012

DIY Deodorant Experiment

Somewhere in my wanderings around natural parenting websites, I found that I should be concerned about regular deodorant. It can contain all kinds of nasty things that are sure to make you sick. Honestly, I thought people were over-reacting just a bit. Anyway, organic deodorant is more expensive than the generic stuff we buy and I'm not keen on experimenting with body odor.

But then I discovered how easy and cheap it was to make my own. I love being cheap frugal.

Basic steps:
1. Use up your current deodorant so you have an empty container.
2. Mix equal parts of coconut oil, baking soda, and corn starch (about 2 tbsp each fills a container).
3. Add some essential oil of choice (optional).
4. Squish the mixture into your deodorant container.
5. Use it like normal deodorant.*

See that? Cheap! Easy! And today I walked for miles, got sweaty, and didn't stink. Success!

I smelled like lavender, not daffodils, but I felt this pretty.

*FYI, coconut oil melts more easily than regular deodorant. You might want to keep your new earth-friendly deodorant in the fridge.


11 comments:

  1. Wow. I love it! My 'all-natural' deodorant from the health food store just ran out, so I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Now, are you washing your hair with baking soda yet? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      Um... haven't gotten around to it. O:) I still have bottles of Burt's Bees shampoo, so I don't have any eco-guilt to motivate me. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, heck, that is so easy and I have all the ingredients. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to find a project that can actually be DONE? :-)

      Delete
    2. Well, I didn't have time today to make it... but we did accomplish the family pizza party! I have a deodorant container just waiting to be used... :)

      Delete
    3. I'd take pizza over deodorant any day. :-)

      Delete
    4. Ack! So, I've lost my reply twice now. Ugh! Third time's a charm? Except I don't believe in charms... Okay, don't go there, focus! Continuing on...

      I made my own deodorant last week following your recipe and adding a drop or two of tea tree oil. It works great! I've had a good snow ski season except for making my clothes stinky. Especially my ski jacket. Who thinks of jackets getting sweaty? Not me. So I don't wash it very often and then... *phwew*!

      I've used my new deodorant for several "I'm all sweaty" ski days and it works great! Now my ski clothes smell a bit like coconut rather than *phwew*! Thanks for this recipe.

      BTW, I melted the oil in the microwave in a Pyrex measuring cup, added the other ingredients and then poured it all into my deodorant container. It worked well to be able to pour it in.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for being persistent. :-) I'll have to try melting the oil next time, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Great tip! This is next on my list of things to make on our journey to living more naturally. Thanks for sharing!

    Amanda (#50 on Your Green Resource)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I've bookmarked your DIY reusable produce bags for future reference!

      Delete
  4. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete