Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I don't want to work for solidarity.

Sunday night, my husband and I had a long discussion about politics, economics, and the state of our country. We talked about the effectiveness of The System and what people like us might be able to do to change it. How do we respond as Catholics? What is beyond our control? Are some things inevitable?


By the end of the conversation, all I wanted to do was close our curtains and stay home for the rest of my life, inhabiting a safe little bubble of Catholic life, natural parenting, and eco-friendly choices. It would be so much easier not to care.

I don't want to call my government representatives, who reply in sound bytes and do what the people with money ask of them. I don't want to rally my neighborhood to petition for change, just to be ignored by the town council. I don't want to remind pastoral leaders about the dictates of Canon Law, only to be assured that this way is just as good.

I'm tired of fighting. I don't want to care. But I don't really have a choice.

"Open your mouth for the mute, 
 For the rights of all the unfortunate."
 Proverbs 31:8 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment