Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Babymoon Flashback

My husband originally wrote about our comedy of errors (aka babymoon) in Feb. 2010 as a series of four posts. It bears reposting.

Bienvenido a Miami

On the advice of Liana's cousin, we decided to go on a short vacation before the baby is born. It would be the last chance we'd have to get away, just the two of us, for a while. So Liana looked into it and booked us a trip to Miami Beach for a relaxing, long weekend at the end of March.

Or at least, that's what we thought.

I had an hour-long meeting at 9 AM at work on Friday, and returned to my desk to find 3 missed calls and an urgent-sounding "call me when you get this" voicemail from Liana. I called back.

"So, you know that trip to Miami next month?" "Yeah..." "We're leaving tomorrow."

Apparently Liana had accidentally booked the trip for February rather than March, and didn't notice on the first confirmation e-mail that the month was 2 instead of 3, since the dates were the same. We were notified by the two-days-before reminder e-mail Orbitz sends that we were, in fact, about to leave. (Liana commented after we got back that she had always questioned the purpose of the two-days-before reminder e-mail: "Who's going to forget about their out-of-state vacation?" Now we know.)

My boss very graciously allowed me to take the following Monday and Tuesday off when I explained the situation. As it happens, we had made our deadline that day at work, so in that sense, the timing was good. It was also fortunate that Liana had used a site like Orbitz, which meant that, while the flight and hotel reservations were wrong, they were wrong consistently.

Since we'd gotten all of that taken care of, the rest would be smooth sailing... right?

Next: First impressions and the downside of late-afternoon departure times.

2 comments:

  1. How funny! I have done that many times with February and March, although never with something as big as an out-of-state vacation! Looking forward to reading the rest of the story. (I know I could go back and find the originals in the archive, but it seems more exciting to wait for it to be posted over the next few days)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I continue to provide amusement to my family with this one, that's for sure. (And this was written before I was a blogger, so you'd have to find my husband's now-abandoned blog and read it there. Much easier this way!) ;-)

      Delete