Saturday, January 21, 2012

Self-Defeating Habits

Last night around 7PM, my husband asked if I wanted to go to Syracuse for the weekend. Meaning, "Do you want to get everything packed, Peter into his pajamas, and drive two hours tonight?" I said yes. A good friend of ours had an emergency appendectomy (are there ever routine appendectomies?) earlier this week and was still hospitalized, bored out of his mind. Personally, I think he's taking things a bit too far to avoid going to next week's square dance with me...

I'm not that short. He's tall.

We got back tonight and I settled Peter into bed. The chores I didn't get done today (cleaning the bathrooms, washing the dishes, possibly dusting) are all still undone. It's only 9:30, though, and with Peter asleep I should be able to finish them fairly quickly.

But I probably won't.

Because when I feel overwhelmed, I want to read a good book and disconnect from reality. I happen to be in the middle of re-reading Little Women and read the first of the Hunger Games series today. I will probably read a book until bedtime. All will be well, until Monday when my husband goes into the office for the day and I must decide whether to do chores or get some sleep while Peter naps.

Anyone have some spare willpower to lend me? :-)

6 comments:

  1. I never do anything that I don't absolutely want to. It saves me from wasting a lot of energy on willpower !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is I want the end result, just not the process. I want clean bathrooms, but I don't want to be the one to do it. Such is life. :-)

      Delete
  2. I think it is great you were able to go be with your friend on the spur of the moment! I often have difficulty with the get-up-and-go that is required for spontaneity. Or required for cleaning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I find it much easier to get up and do something fun than something disgusting... :-)

      Delete
  3. When our children were really young, I always had the diaper bag packed and ready to roll. Extra diapers, washcloths, finger foods, pajamas, blankets and a lovey or two. That way it was reasonably fast to pack up and go when your Uncle wanted to take off. We would come back from those outings and I would take out all the stuff to be washed or cleaned and pack it right up again with fresh items. Granted sometimes I had to run a load of baby clothes before I could repack the bag, but that was just a priority for my sanity. Living in a colder climate having pajamas as the back up outfits to wear always settled the children down fast if they were out of sorts. My Mom would ask what I would like them to give the children for Christmas and I always asked for pajamas. Sometimes when they grew too fast out of their p.j.s she would buy a new set for them before Christmas time. Guess that is why I always give pajamas at Christmas time to our nine grandchildren. I have also procrastinated this past week on household duties.

    Love, Aunt Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep a small diaper bag packed by the door, too! We've tossed around the idea of keeping one fully stocked in the car in case we are out longer than we plan. If we do that, I will have to remember to include pajamas. There is definitely something very comforting about wearing them.

      Delete