Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Story of Christmas

Tomorrow I will teach my class the story of Christmas. Tonight I unpacked all of our Christmas books to find one to share with the kids, looking for something with a good story that still focused on the birth of Christ. We have some great books. The Gift of the Magi, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and one of my favorite books of all time, The Other Wise Man. I might have chosen the last one, but it is too long to read aloud during class.


Ultimately, I decided I will read them The Story. No spin-offs or adaptations can do as well to share, in simple language with just enough detail to capture the imagination, the story of the birth of Christ. The story of an ordinary young man and a not-quite-ordinary young woman who were chosen to raise the Son of God. Of political unrest and power-hungry rulers. Of a young woman who becomes a mother, far away from her own mother, her family, and even a comfortable place to labor. Of the poor, lonely, and outcast who are the first to learn the news that will change the world. Of a moment when Heaven and earth meet and the angels fill the skies with praise. Of magi from the East, gentiles, coming to worship the King of the Jews and bringing prophetic gifts.

The Gospel, the Good News, of the Lord. Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment