Monday, December 5, 2011

Spiritual Focus

My first Advent as a married woman, my mom gave me a book for recording Christmas family memories. One section asks, "What was your spiritual focus this Christmas season?" I spent some time last week thinking about this question and decided this year my focus will be surrender. Mary's complete surrender, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord," stands as a shining example for me. Her surrender of her plans, reputation, body, and spirit certainly brought her pain, but ultimately such joy! This Advent season, I want to surrender the areas where my pride or fear has kept me from following God. 

Peter (2010) with Mary from his Nativity set

Prayer of Self-Offering
Receive, Lord, my entire freedom.
Accept the whole of my memory, my intellect and my will.
Whatever I have or possess, it was you who gave it to me;
I restore it to you in full,
and I surrender it completely to the guidance of your will.
Give me only love of you
together with your grace,
and I am rich enough, and ask for nothing more.
Amen.

Excerpted from the Roman Missal, Third Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment