Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Reluctantly Green

I wish I had no ecological conscience. I don't like paying more for organic food or washing out recyclable containers. I can't muster enthusiasm for petitions to save our resources. I occasionally click on The Rainforest Site, but only if I'm already there to click for Child Health.

So why do I try so hard to live green?

1. I care about children. I care about my own child and want to protect him from unnecessary chemicals, hormones, and other unsavory things that might influence his development. I also care about the current generation of children who depend on me to make choices that will allow them clean air to breathe, water to drink, and a planet capable of providing food for all of them.



2. I like saving money. Many of the eco-friendly choices we make are also budget friendly! I line-dry our laundry, keep the thermostat low, and take quick showers more because they save money than because they save resources. I am not bringing home a pay check, but by making some simple choices, I can help my husband's pay check go further.

3. It feels good. I admit it, I like to pat myself on the back. (Figuratively.) I don't get excited about making green choices, but when I do it, it's fun to know I am making a difference. Also, being eco-friendly grants me membership to the online community of people who have all kinds of awesome ideas of how to save resources. I like those people. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I'm green where it makes sense. Living with near 90% humidity means no line drying here, everything would mildew and I'm allergic. But where the climate is dry enough I love the way line dried clothing smells.

    So many things touted as "green" are not really any better for the environment and cost more-- so I refuse to bother with those.

    But putting an older item back to work so as to avoid the environmental impact of manufacturing a new one-- oh yes, it is cost effective and green in a very real sense. Like the $15 spent on an old microscope for home school-- that new cost several hundred dollars and the cost of manufacturing those lenses and the heavy frame of metal have already been paid by the environment--so by purchasing it and keeping it in use, I am being green because that is one more set of environmental costs that does not have to be repeated because I am using one that was already made!

    Hubby does a lot like that, watching and waiting to buy a working version of what he needs that is used so that a new one does not have to be manufactured.

    Green is good provided it is reasonable. You sound like a very reasonably green person!

    Love the picture of the darling little one in the ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. We do enjoy thrift stores for just that reason! I suppose "all things in moderation" also applies to green living, making reasonable choices instead of doing something just because it's trendy in the green community.

    ReplyDelete