Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Gift of the Holy Spirit

Tonight my Dad was welcomed fully into the community of the Catholic Church and received the sacraments of Confirmation and Eucharist. I don't clearly remember my First Communion, but I think I will remember his reception of the Body and Blood of Christ and his confident "Amen" for a very long time. This, I think, is why sacraments are community events.

My Dad didn't want a lot of attention drawn to him. He's certainly not new to the parish, having served on Bingo teams, hosting coffee hour, singing in choir, and being a member of finance committee in the past in addition to many special, one-time events. He has always been an active member of the community and is not one to seek the limelight.

I suspect my Dad wouldn't have minded being Confirmed just in the presence of his sponsor (my Mom) and the priest. I am thankful that the Church makes sacraments a community event. Hearing his confession of faith and affirmation of his belief in the Real Presence has strengthened my own faith and made me more aware of the gift I receive in the Eucharist. I pray that others also shared in the grace poured forth tonight.

Thanks, Dad, for inviting us. And welcome!

Almost 7 years ago. We look pretty much the same.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Liana! I'm so happy for you and your dad. I know this is something we talked about. Your dad is such a great man that he supported your mom and his family all these years by attending church, and now that he is fully a member, what a great gift. Love to you and your family,
    KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing. My relatives are all fundamentalist in outlook and consider my becoming Catholic something of an evil. Congratulations on your Dad joining you in the Catholic Church; it is a marvelous blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @KB: Thanks!

    @Ann: I had friends in college who might have become close friends except for that same reason. They consider Catholicism to be idolatry and could not accept me fully because of that. I'm sorry to hear that your relatives have not been supportive of you becoming Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! One more to receive him fully in the Eucharist! It is for ALL of us. I pray that others come to see Chirst church and know it is his gift to us all. The Eucharist is our Heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly you and your dad are vampires and will never age. Come to think of it, the rest of your family hasn't seemed to age much either, hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't you noticed we sparkle and try to avoid sunlight? :-)

    ReplyDelete