Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fasting and Feasting

I am so full. We had Chipotle for lunch and ravioli with alfredo sauce for dinner. Tonight, we split a very large piece of chocolate French silk pie. Why? It's the Solemnity of All Saints!

Peter dressed as his namesake, the first Pope, for All Saints Day last year.

March of 2005 was the first time I attended a celebratory meal for a feast day that wasn't Christmas or Easter. I was surprised, then motivated. I, too, would celebrate feasts as they are meant to be celebrated.

As a Catholic, I am very familiar with fasting. We fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. We fast from meat on Fridays in Lent. I fast sporadically throughout the year as a form of intercessory prayer and to recharge my spiritual batteries.

But feasting? I'd never thought of it.

My husband and I have taken to this practice enthusiastically. Referencing our calendar of saints, we choose meals that celebrate a saint's homeland. Today being the feast of saints (known and unknown) around the world, we had a multicultural menu.

St. Brigid

My husband (a convert to Catholicism) said he thought feast days were celebrations, until he joined the Church. "How much less fun can you make it? You call it a holy day of obligation and do nothing special or different at Mass." (I know, there are additional readings and prayers, but you get his point.) 

I hope eventually to include other families in our celebrations and perhaps even take it to the parish level. For now, though, at least our household is honoring these saints with a true feast!

3 comments:

  1. @Amanda: I cut out the shape of the hat and stapled it to one of his baby hats. :-)

    @Laura: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete