Friday, November 4, 2011

Being Parents and Having Fun

Tonight my husband and I visited a friend, watched a few episodes of Phineas & Ferb, and ate chocolate ice cream (after being offered SEVEN different flavors!). It was awesome. It was also about 10:30 when we finished our ice cream and when I called my parents, I learned that Peter was fussy and still not asleep.

We left and took our very sleepy son home, where he fell asleep in his own bed, albeit still wearing his regular clothes.


I think there is a common misconception among childless adults that having children ruins one's social life. It's simply not true. Having Peter has definitely changed our social life and limited our flexibility, but we still have friends, entertain visitors regularly, and get out a fair amount. I will admit that it has been a bigger change for my husband than for me, as he is much more extroverted, (example: I maintain regular contact with one friend from high school. He's in touch with about a dozen), but I think he would agree with me.

We are fortunate to have an excellent support network of people willing to babysit Peter on the rare occasions we don't bring him along, but often he comes with us. Our friends understand that having Peter doesn't mean we like them any less, it just means we need to be aware of nursing and nap times and keep an eye out for fragile items.

I know he is young and currently an only child. I cringe as I imagine people with their mouths open to say, "Just wait until--" because it will be different, but not worse. My cousin has five children, ranging in age from newborn to ten years old. They are homeschooled. She still has time to be alone with her husband and go out with her friends.

My life is magnitudes different now than it was before Peter was born. Life was good then. Life is good now. Changes don't ruin us.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree! We never went out a huge amount before Gus was born, but we still bring him to loads of places. And I think it is really beneficial for him to spend time in lots of different situations with adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I'm not so lucky where babysitters go. A couple of other parents have offered to trade with us, though, and SOMEday I want to take them up on it. We've never gone out without that kid, and he's 19 months now. I didn't intend it to be that way, but most places we go he can just come along.

    Lately bedtime is such a struggle, though, that I don't dare go out past seven p.m. Not only will it mess up that night's bedtime, it might mess up the whole week. Just not worth it -- which is too bad when everyone seems to schedule stuff starting at seven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Amy: I also think it helps them learn what's expected of them. People comment frequently how well-behaved Peter is, which I think is mostly due to him being out enough to learn what to do!

    @Sheila: My sympathies to you on your current sleep struggles. I've been reading your posts but don't have anything constructive to offer. Praying for all four (!) of you.

    ReplyDelete