Friday, October 7, 2011

An Intentional Faith

Yesterday, I provided a brief intentional living checklist. Some areas of life, though, require more thoughtful reflection than can be provided in a few questions. Faith is one of those.


Morality in General 
What do I believe? How am I forming my moral compass? Do my actions reflect my values? How has my faith been shaped? Who are my role models? How do I view those whose faith does not match mine? What motivates me?

For all Christians
Do I keep my faith at the center of my life, or is it compartmentalized? How do I study Scripture? How does my life match my understanding of Jesus' mission? Am I living for the end times or do I simultaneously wish for the joy of Heaven while valuing my earthly ministry (Phil. 1:21-26)? Do I share my faith in a manner I believe will be effective? Do I look to others for recognition of my piety? Can the world tell I am a Christian by my love (John 13:35)? Do I have both faith and works (James 2:14-17)? Do I seek first to understand, or do I look for ways to justify my opinions? Do I pray at all times (Eph. 6:18)?

Especially for Catholics (We Catholics are a funny breed. We need some of our own questions.)
Do I attend Mass every Sunday? Do I think about my prayers or simply recite them? Am I comfortable praying in my own words? Do I believe that my prayers are efficacious? Do I regularly take advantage of the grace offered through the Sacraments? Even Reconciliation? If I disagree with Church teachings, do I try to educate myself or just dismiss the teaching? Am I comfortable sharing my faith? Am I familiar with the Bible? Do I believe in the Real Presence? Am I able to gracefully accept a decision once it has been made, or do I continue complaining to anyone who will listen? *cough-New Roman Missal-cough* :-)

3 comments:

  1. I am loving this series on intentional living. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thanks for sharing these. They really are a good self check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I'm glad I'm not the only one who benefits from a reappraisal now and then.

    ReplyDelete