Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Feast of St. Francis as Never Before

Today is the feast of St. Francis, one of the most popular saints. I suspect this has more to do with people liking animals than being inspired by his spiritual life, but perhaps I am being overly cynical. At any rate, on the way out of Mass this morning, Peter said, "Doggy!" (Sort of. His enunciation isn't great.) In fact, he saw a cat, not a dog. A cat licking a license plate holder and about to be run over.

For the record, I am not an animal lover. I like some specific animals, but in general they just annoy me. They lick and shed and make a nuisance of themselves.

But I'm not so cruel that I will leave a cat to be run over in a rainy parking lot. Especially on the feast of St. Francis. At church. :-)

I ran over and picked up the cat (surprising the driver, who hadn't seen it). It's now raining lightly and I have a toddler in one arm and a strange cat in the other. I decided to put them both in our car and consider further action once we were dry.

The cat immediately started cleaning herself and showed every indication of sitting quietly on the floor. Since animal control wasn't open yet and I have a mirror set so I can see Peter in his car seat, I decided to drive home very slowly and put the cat in our bathroom.

I even gave her tuna and water.

She stayed there until 1PM when the humane society finally returned our calls and agreed to take her.


Not having pets, we don't have cages. So I figured we could keep her in a cardboard box with holes. She apparently disagreed.




With the cat on my lap, we finally got to the shelter and turned her over to her new home.


I hope her owners are able to pick her up soon, but if not I'm confident she'll get adopted quickly. She's friendly and well-mannered. Even if she did shed all over our car. Animals.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine my life without animals. Our two cats are our children and we love them wholeheartedly. They shed, are messy eaters, and make stinkies in the cat box, but the love we get from them is incomparable.

    Similar to children, don't ya think? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I've told my husband before that my feelings towards animals and children is the opposite of the population at large. I've heard many people say they would never want to work with children, although they love their own. I have gotten attached to two dogs and two cats in my life... so I can see the appeal of possibly having my own pet, but in the abstract, not so much. :-) But kids? Bring 'em on! I even like middle schoolers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete