Friday, September 23, 2011

Prayer Over A Child Not Asleep

O God.

I am exhausted by this little one entrusted to my care. I don't understand how he is still awake, hours and hours after we all should be asleep.

I praise you, God, because we are fearfully and wonderfully made. But it is hard to see the glory of creation when I am being pinched by tiny fingers and sore from a little mouth that wants to comfort nurse again and again.

Please, Father, please let him sleep. Calm his racing mind and still his active body.

Help me, God. What does he need? He is dry, and fed, and warm, and I am here to hold him. But still he fidgets and pushes against me and cries. He cannot get comfortable; neither can I.

I want to be to him the parent you are to me, patient, loving, forgiving, kind, gentle. Help me to see him with your eyes. Give me grace to respond with love, over and over again.

I know he doesn't understand how much I want to sleep. I know his teeth hurt and he is as bewildered as I about why we are eating cereal at four in the morning. I know he wants me to be with him. But this is so hard and I don't feel able to care for him right now.

As a watchman waits for the dawn, so I long for You. May we both find sleep before dawn. Please.

Amen.


5 comments:

  1. My sympathies. Nothing can make us more miserable than being unable to comfort one of the little ones!!

    Mine teethed early and nearly continuously for months and has a full mouth of teeth early. Amazingly nothing is crowded. LOL! But that was a long time!

    I hope your time of sleep deprivation is short and the small one's tooth comes in and the pain subsides soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this prayer & empathize with you...although Gianna is only 7 months old, so our crazy sleep adventure is really just beginning.
    Last night:
    6:50, asleep
    10, awake
    10:45, asleep
    2:20, awake
    2:45, asleep
    3:15, awake
    4:30, asleep
    7, awake

    ahhhh!!!!!!!

    "Help me, God. What does he need? He is dry, and fed, and warm, and I am here to hold him. But still he fidgets and pushes against me and cries. He cannot get comfortable; neither can I. I want to be to him the parent you are to me, patient, loving, forgiving, kind, gentle. Help me to see him with your eyes. Give me grace to respond with love, over and over again."
    So true.

    Kaylene
    http://giannaclare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful.
    Aren't you just SO GRATEFUL that you do not have to get up to go to a job in the morning? Or that you don't have 3 other children to get up with in the morning? May all your future children be really, really good sleepers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pray for sleep for you all.
    Also, try a little clove oil on his gums - it works the same way as orajel, but w/o the controversial chemicals. we use orajel naturals (which is just the clove oil) but you can also just straight clove oil that you can most likely find at any natural/organic foods store. David is almost done cutting his molars and these have been those hardest for him. His bicuspids are starting to come in, too - but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and you will soon! In the meantime, just keep praying for God to show you how to comfort and soothe Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the sympathy and support, everyone. :)

    @Donna: He seems to be doing better recently, but I'll definitely keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete