Tuesday, September 27, 2011

But not in a creepy way

Youth group tonight was great. I have an excellent group of seventh graders who seemed to have fun and understand the point of the lesson.

What's not to love?

I also set up my Sunday school room, since our first class (finally!) will be this Sunday. I've enjoyed connecting with my students in the past and anticipate another fun year.

I find working with youth to be rewarding. I enjoy listening to them and spending time with them. I'm excited about the opportunity to share my faith, because I really believe it and I want them to know the same joy I have.

Tonight, we closed in prayer by listening to a song. I sat there among more than 50 middle school students, with their own stories, needs, heartaches and goals. I looked at my little group of eight kids and at all the other groups around us. I thought, "I love these kids." And I know I'm not the only one.

But I can't tell them that. Because there's no way to say to a child or teenager, "I love you, but not in a creepy way," without sounding creepy. So if there are any kids or teens reading this, or adults who felt unloved as a younger person, know that someone loves you. They just can't say it without sounding creepy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, go ahead and say it. For little kids -- go right ahead! They expect it. For older kids, I tend to go for the group approach: "I really love you guys," "You guys are so awesome," "You really make my day."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always afraid of harassment allegations... maybe that's my brief stint in the public schools coming back to haunt me. The group approach should be safe, though. (For example, there's a boy for whom I've felt called to pray for years, but I don't even want to tell his mom for fear she'll think I'm "singling him out for special attention." It's a sad world sometimes.)

    ReplyDelete