Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Letter to my First-Born for his First Year

Your first day out

Hi Baby Boy,

All too soon, I will have to stop calling you that. Every day you take a few more steps, moving closer to officially being a toddler. You are growing so fast.

It's already hard to remember how tiny you were when we brought you home. I loved to hold you as you slept on my chest, your head burrowed under my chin. Even your cry was sweet, a little squeaky cry when you were hungry that sounded different from other cries. Sometimes when you are just waking up, you still use that cry, as if you were a tiny baby again.

At the hospital, they gave us a hat for you. You loved your little hat and cried whenever anyone took it off to see your hair. Do you know that your hair was black when you were born? Now it's strawberry blonde. With your hair and your blue eyes, it's easy to see why I sing Irish folk songs as your lullabies.

I love spending time with you. It was so hard to go back to work when you were four months old, even though I was leaving you with Daddy and only gone for a few hours at a time. I'm happy to be home again full-time. People ask me if I miss my job -- absolutely not. I like to feed you, play with you, and soothe you to sleep. I like to be here as you master new skills like climbing stairs and throwing a ball. I love to cuddle with you any time you want.

At one year old, you have your own personality. You are happy and friendly, thriving on meeting new people and exploring your world. You like to be held and nurse frequently for reassurance. You hate going to sleep, as if you think you'll miss something exciting. You certainly keep Daddy and me busy!

People like to make predictions about what you'll do when you're older. Sometimes, when you meet a little girl your age, people suggest that she is your girlfriend. I always say, no, he's going to be a priest. Maybe you will, but wherever God calls you, you will be happy there. That's what I pray for you, you know. That you will be holy, happy, and healthy.

I love you, little one.

Helping Mommy with the laundry

1 comment: