Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Discouraged American

"Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?"

Does it? Flags are waving all across the country today, but is this the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Patriotic holidays make me sad. I love this country. I don't love everything about it, though. People dying from treatable diseases. Children (and adults) going hungry. Killers being killed to show that killing is wrong. Real-life violence and sex being used to raise ratings. Lies. Gossip on mainstream news. Abortion. A public school system that maintains the status quo despite its best efforts at fostering equality.

I know there are many great things about the United States, but patriotic holidays full of superlative rhetoric just make me keenly aware of how we have failed. Our songs are full of the promise of a good life for all who live here, but we're not delivering. We are proud of our immigrant ancestors, but we turn away so many who are simply looking for a job (not even minimum wage -- any job). We talk about "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", yet so many people live with anger, fear and depression.

God, bless the U.S.A. We need it.

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya, Cat!

    Up here in Canada we have a lot of the same social ills, economic woes and lack of morality. Personally, it's the whole Culture of Entitlement that gets under my skin the most.

    One of the reasons why I always write about pursuing Freedom and Joy in my life is because I have finally accepted that CHANGE can only begin with me. I totally believe that WE produce the future by the way we raise our children.

    And that's why I love meeting online-mommies who are raising their children from a place of peace and compassion rather than control and punishment. Mommies like you, Cat!!

    Together, we are creating a better a future for both our countries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. It helps to realize small things make a difference. (Not that raising kids is a small thing, but it seems like it when compared to other forms of political activism.) "Let peace begin with me, let this be the moment now..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. I pray for the day we will become that great country we once were.

    ReplyDelete