Saturday, July 23, 2011

Birthday Celebration

We had Peter's first birthday party today. Aside from running the air conditioner, I think it was a fairly eco-friendly party. We had it in the afternoon, so just supplied dessert (cupcakes) and drinks (lemonade, water, and iced tea). We made ice cubes in our freezer. We had about 20 people attending and used cloth napkins and real plates and glasses. Yes, this meant I had more dishes to do, but very little trash! Also, having a "small" party meant a reasonable number of gifts, mostly books and clothing. I'm very pleased that this didn't become a celebration of STUFF rather than of Peter. Many thanks to family and friends who helped make today great!


Peter had chocolate cake with frosting. He flatly refused to eat any frosting after tasting it and had about one cubic centimeter of cake. He had a lot of fun rubbing it on his high chair tray, though. I think it's probably a good thing that he doesn't like super-sweet food!

3 comments:

  1. happy birthday Peter - so glad it was the birthday you wanted. My oldest was the first grandchild on both sides, and my mil spoiled her (not quite) rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Happy Birthday, Peter!

    Somehow Niko has a killer sweet-tooth. He doesn't get much of anything that's too sugary, mostly fruit and some graham crackers, but when he has a chance to, he savors ultrasugary goodness. Thankfully, he doesn't get it too often...

    I'm getting really excited.. Niko's first is less that a month away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lisa: Thanks! I was the youngest by 5 years and only girl in my family... I always say that my parents spoiled me and my brothers kept me from being rotten. :-)

    @panda: Looking forward to pictures of Niko! Yeah, Peter likes fruit and graham crackers, but apparently dessert is just taking things too far. :-)

    ReplyDelete