Friday, June 10, 2011

Warrior Prayers for Our Son

Undercover Mother caught my attention with her post about praying for our sons. I read it on Wednesday, giving me just enough time to join a group (at Granola Mom for God) and engage in 21 Days of Prayer for Sons. I bought Brooke McGlothlin's e-book, Warrior Prayers, with my husband's PayPal account. When he learned what I would be doing, he offered to join me in daily prayer, asking God to guide our son to be the man he should be.

Our technique is not quite what is suggested. Rather than praying the provided Scripture throughout the day (since we are not together all day), we are praying spontaneously for Peter during the day and then praying through the Scriptures together in the evening. The topics for the first couple of days were obedience and submission to authority.
Peter on his Baptism Day



At his age, Peter is not defiant, so we're not praying to correct current sinful tendencies. We are praying for him as he grows, that his first desire will always be to seek God and His ways. This has been a joyful experience for me. Not only are we nurturing our son through prayer, but I am reminded with each prayer that God is helping me raise Peter. We are not in this alone.

This challenge is also helping me become mindful of my prayer life. Consistent, frequent prayer has always been a struggle for me. I pray with meals and for a short time before bed, but not the kind of communion with God that I want to have. I am hopeful that the good prayer habits developed during these three weeks will carry over into my regular prayer life.

I am thankful for this call to serve my son, pray with my husband, and grow closer to God. I'll be posting a couple more updates throughout these three weeks of prayer, so stay tuned!


Visit the blogs below to read others' experiences as we pray through Warrior Prayers:

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the baptism picture - looking forward to getting to know the ladies on our team! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and leaving encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "At his age, Peter is not defiant, so we're not praying to correct current sinful tendencies."

    From a Catholic perspective, I find this to be an interesting remark. Are you equating defiance with sinful tendencies? What do you make of the Church's insistence that children are incapable of sin until the age of moral reasoning (7ish)? Clearly defiance and all sorts of behavior that parents don't desire occur before the age of reason, but the Church does not recognize this as sinful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that kids are incapable of sin until they have moral reasoning, since you can't sin unless you *knowingly* damage your relationship with God. That being said, I think deliberate misbehavior (i.e. defiance) is a habit that will lead to sin if not corrected. So, 'sinful tendency' isn't the same as 'sin.' Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't sound like me just playing the rules of semantics. :-)

    ReplyDelete