Monday, June 6, 2011

Live simply, live green

More ideas for saving time and/or money:

* Change what your light switches do. Thanks to Peter, our bedroom light switch is now hooked up to a night-light rather than a floor lamp. I thought this would drive me crazy, but instead it has made me realize how often I flip the light on when I don't actually need it. Having the night-light gives enough light for me to be able to walk into the room and turn on the floor lamp if necessary.

* Make sun tea instead of boiling water for tea. I realize this saves a minimal amount of energy, but every little bit helps!

* Use your windows well. We have central air conditioning, but rarely use it. Instead, we open the windows overnight and close them in the morning, trapping the cool night air inside.



* Keep your freezer full. A full freezer is more efficient than an empty freezer. We rarely have enough food to fill the freezer, but have filled up some milk jugs and lemon juice bottles with water to occupy the empty space.

* Reuse your drinking glass. I hand-wash all our dishes, so I notice how many dishes get used during a day. I am amazed at the number of glasses used in homes that have dishwashers! New beverage? New glass. Our family reuses one glass per person throughout the day (sometimes even a couple days in a row). This saves time for me and would save energy for those with dishwashers, as they wouldn't fill up as quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Really great tips! I should definitely fill the freezer. We're the same...not enough food. Don't know why I didn't think of filling the void with something else!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. So glad you could enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been told that sun tea does not have the same health benefits as brewed tea. Something to consider.mab

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dwija: Not sure where I heard that tip first. Maybe from my parents, they're good at stuff like that.

    @Mom: Wonder why? I'll look into that and do a follow-up post. Also, thanks for finally signing your name. :-D

    ReplyDelete