Friday, June 17, 2011

Asking for a Saint

We have been praying Warrior Prayers for our son for ten days now. Well, nine. We missed a day last weekend, so we prayed those Scripture passages the next day. I asked my husband last night if he thought we were praying for the impossible, or at least the improbable. A son who lives out the virtues of obedience, submission to authority, integrity, purity, humility, wisdom, servitude, and honor? And we're not even to the halfway point of our prayers! Aren't we basically praying that God will make Peter a saint?

"Well, saints have to come from somewhere."

The feelings of unworthiness rush in. I am not a good enough mom to raise a saint. Despite hazy good intentions, I don't get to Mass every day. My prayer life is weak. I fall asleep when I say my Rosary. I am prideful, get angry, and avoid responsibility. How can I possibly aspire to be like St. Monica, St. Elizabeth, or St. Bridget of Sweden?
Peter dressed as his namesake, the first pope, for All Saints Day

But of course I'm not good enough. That's why we're praying, after all. We pray for Peter because we know we cannot be good enough parents to create in him a clean heart. We do the best we can in our brokenness and then intercede for him, asking God to fill in the places we mess up.

And while I'm at it, I ask God to renew a right spirit within me.

9 comments:

  1. Keep in mind that being St. Monica was a really rough life for many years (i.e., Augustine's early adulthood). Saints aren't necessarily better people than the rest of us; they're just people who followed God's calling, demonstrably and admirably. Jerome certainly got angry, not always justifiably. Catherine of Siena died at 33, seemingly from anorexia mirabilis. We all have our faults. Remember that Sainthood isn't about us, or them; it's about God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.' Phil 1:4-6
    He is the one who does it! I'm so glad, cause I certainly can't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! When I was pregnant with my 1st son I stressed over wanting to go ahead and fix all of the broken places in our lives so that we wouldn't mess him up too badly :) Thankfully, God showed me that the very areas we DO mess up with our sons will be part of what He uses in His grand redemption plan for their lives. Take hope friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many saints were once some of the most terrible sinners. You are an amazing mother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jeremy: Quite true. Thanks for the reminder!

    @Anne: What an encouraging passage! Thanks for sharing that with me.

    @Brooke: Yes, one of my cousins told me, "Of course you'll mess up your kids. We all do." :-) It is such a relief to place our trust in God, knowing that He works in all things.

    @Dwija: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for being so real! Our children teach us so much about ourselves!!!!! Or rather God uses our children to become aware of the areas we aren't like Jesus. With God anything is possible . . . so if the Lord should tarry and desires your son to inspire the world for Him . . . anything can happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jodi: Matthew 19:26 was my first memory verse... perhaps I should go back to basics. :-) Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete