Friday, May 27, 2011

An Irish day

In honor of the misty, cool weather we had today, I'll share one of my favorite stories from my time spent in Galway.
Ruins along the River Corrib

I lived in a flat along the River Corrib, which had a lovely path alongside it. I'm not an avid runner, but I do enjoy it now and again, so I used to run a mile or two along the path when I was tired of being cooped up inside. This particular day, it began to rain lightly just as I finished tying on my sneakers. The weather in Galway cycles rapidly between sun and rain, so I decided to just go out anyway, figuring I would dry out as I kept moving.


So I began to run.

And the rain got harder. Much harder. Then the wind picked up.

Soon I was running against horizontal rain so cold it gave me an "ice cream headache."

Everyone else had (wisely) taken cover somewhere, but I was far enough along the path that I wouldn't make it back before the storm blew itself out, so I just kept going. Within ten minutes, the warm sun I had anticipated returned. At this point, of course, I was SOAKED and my skin was freezing. I made it to my designated halfway point and turned around to slog back towards warm, dry clothes.

Along the way, I came upon an older gentleman, enjoying an afternoon walk. He looked me over slowly as I approached and said, in that way the Irish have of asking a question with the inflection of a statement, "Changeable day today."

No comments:

Post a Comment