Saturday, May 28, 2011

He who sings, prays twice (St. Augustine)

What else do the simple folk do
to pluck up the heart and get through? ...

Once, upon the road, I came upon a lad
Singing in a voice three times his size
When I asked him why, he told me he was sad
And singing always made his spirits rise
And that's what simple folk do.
I surmise.

They sing?

I surmise.
What Do the Simple Folk Do? from Camelot


It's been the kind of day where I need to keep a song on my lips. The weather has been beautiful, my husband was home all day and spent a lot of time with Peter, my brother and sister-in-law are visiting (and pulled out some awful weeds for us!), and we all had a good evening at my parents' house. And yet, there is a nagging sense of sadness. I know part of it is continuing to deal with my Grandpa's death. I don't know what else is contributing, though.

A song for the evening:
Lord of all gentleness, Lord of all calm,
whose voice is contentment, whose Presence is balm,
be there at our sleeping and give us we pray
Your peace in our hearts Lord at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment